Medway Open Studios & Arts Festival is a community arts festival celebrating the wealth of creativity in Medway. The winter festival will take place across Chatham and Rochester on Saturday 8 and Sunday 9 December.
The Festival was a newcomer to Medway when a week long event launched in July 2012, following the success of the summer festival a winter weekend was planned. The winter Festival will include work from a variety of artists, including jewellery, sculpture, print, paint, photography and textiles. Over 50 local artists in total will open their doors to visitors displaying their work in various venues, including 16 artist studios and eight creative spaces.
Open studio festivals are successful across every county in Britain, with local artists opening their doors and inviting the public into their homes, studios and workshops. It’s a great opportunity to learn first-hand how different art forms are shaped, meet the artists and support the local crafts.
In the future, the organiser hopes the Festival will become an established annual event throughout Medway, with the summer 2013 Festival already in motion.
Festival Director Heather Burgess, 27 from Rainham, initiated the festival to uncover the amount of crafts being created in the Medway towns. “Medway is a perfect place for such a festival with so much going on in a comparatively small area. The nine venues taking part on the 8 and 9 December are all within a short walking distance of each other creating a great day out. The people are so interesting and the quality of work is inspiring.”
It’s not too late to take part, pitches are available in the Makers Market, an art and craft fair inside one of the host venues in Chatham. All types of craft are invited to sign up for a stall, for more information email email@example.com. Closing date is Friday 30 November.
To view images from all the winter Festival artists and to download a copy of the Festival guide visit www.medwayopenstudios.co.uk. Free festival guides can also be found at various venues in Medway and surrounding Kent. Alternatively, you can request a hard copy of the guide by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you a dab hand with a paint brush? Handy with a Henry?
If you would like to volunteer your time to help with the decorating at Sun Pier House they would love to hear from you!
Help is needed with the preparations at Sun Pier House in the lead up to their first event – The Makers Market on Saturday 8 and Sunday 9 December 2012. If you are willing to offer your time and have some hours free between Monday 19th November and Wednesday 5 December please get in touch. Email email@example.com
All good deeds will be rewarded with plenty of tea and biscuits!
Artists and groups taking part:
- Ridley Road Group, Ridley Road, Rochester. A great mix of original editioned lino & etched prints. Hand crafted silver, beaded, acrylic & glass jewellery. Ceramics & fused glass pieces, small & large, wall mountable or free standing. Plump cushions & other decorative pieces made of beautiful fabrics.
- Richard Reader, Ridley Road, Rochester. A collection of landscapes, seascapes, architectural, and abstract photography by Rochester based photographer.
- Janice Emmott, Ridley Road, Rochester. Figure drawings and paintings; portraits, flowers, landscapes in an expressive style. Various mediums. Small drawings and paintings from £10
- Nikki Price, Ridley Road, Rochester. Tales from the Darkroom’ – a re-imagining of classic Fairy Tales using film photography. The exhibition also includes a series of photographs challenging perceptions of body image.
- Jacqueline Atkinson, Langdon Road, Rochester. I love making things and have turned my hand to individually crafted bags in unusual fabrics with interesting linings
- Coal Shed Press, Boundary Wharf, Rochester. Fine and glorious prints and works on paper in variousmedia.
- Printed Wonder, Boundary Wharf, Rochester. Gocco prints, screen prints, stationery and textiles with colourful designs and illustration. WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE
- Hazel Christine, Makers Market, Sun Pier House, Chatham. Vibrant, bold paintings showcasing mypassion for colour. Focussing on abstract, some landscape, portrait & still life.
- CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT Clothing, Makers Market, Sun Pier House, Chatham. We will be selling our latest line of ‘Geek-Chic’ apparel, as well as promoting our custom garment printing services.
- Ben Cameron, Makers Market, Sun Pier House, Chatham. My work ranges from doodles to highly detailed large illustrations. I’ll be selling doodles, cards, tote bags and tee’s.
- Simon Richardson, Makers Market, Sun Pier House, Chatham. Contemporary photographer. I don’t have the ability to make things happen, I just hope to be there when they do.
- Nucleus Artists, Nucleus Arts Centre, High Street, Chatham. 30 Artists showing original works of Arts & Crafts. Gallery showcasing Resident Artists work. Affordable arts Scheme. Café open.