Here I am, A YouTuber who makes a lot of videos, but never my own music video. In the past I made one in a group of a song I wrote, then again in a group with my lyrics and now on my own I have produced my third music video of my lyrics (music by Joe Humber) uniquely to my YouTube channel.
Before Summer 2012 I wrote a song, originally unnamed but referred to as ‘The Next Chapter’, and proposed it to my friend Joe to record and make into an actual listenable song rather than words on screen. He agreed. One day travelling back from London I checked my Facebook messages and found he had sent me a demo of the song. I listened, and fell in love with hearing my lyrics as music. Immediately I told him this is what I wanted for the video and he set to work improving. Recording also took place with my friend Molly, however due to Joe moving to University his computer got damaged and we no longer have the file of both of them singing. Upset and annoyed by this misfortune I still decided to release the song with the video since we all worked hard.
A few viewers have asked me what the song is about, I say the answer is in the lyrics.
Moving on the the process of making it. When making any production it must go through three stages: pre production; production and post production.
PRE-PRODUCTION: This automatically began subconsciously when I wrote the song. Ideas for what to film were everyone in my mind, bubbling up ideas. Originally my storyboard was to use post it notes (as seen in the video with the love heart Molly draws) as messages that the couple used to send to each other. However, the lyrics didn’t seem to fit as dialogue for post it notes so I didn’t want to use them but didn’t want to add to many words to the screen. Instead I decided to portray the lyrics naturally with Joe and Molly acting as a real couple going through their ‘story’ – meeting, love, laughter, happiness, arguments, tears, missing each other, anger and so on.
PRODUCTION – Unlike most projects, beside vlogs, filming only took a few hours of one day. Stopping in-between shots due to weather conditions (however the rain was good pathetic fallacy) filming was otherwise successful. Most ideas came on set. Often in preproduction I’ll storyboard everything and have a shot list, but with this I decided as the cast was a minimum we could create some unique and improvised. First we filmed the fights in the house; moved on to the scenes in the field after a lunch break; walked along the roads; and finished at another house for more shots. The majority of filming took place in the field with the paper, ripping up the story. This idea came on the day when I was on the bus over to our location and I’d brought Romeo and Juliet book with me, I thought it worked well.
POST PRODUCTION – Editing went well, as I had a new laptop it was more of a practice using iMovie, although personally I prefer and wish for Final Cut Pro, but due to the expense I’ll wait for Christmas. However, the wonders of video editing could still be explored on iMovie through tutorials, but it’s so easy to use you don’t need guidance to be honest. I made different versions of the videos (which I advise when unclear on final outcome) and decided on what I preferred and didn’t.
Your original idea will always be different to the outcome, sometimes this is good sometimes this is bad, you need to find the balance.
With this I feel I found a balance, I came with what I feel it a good outcome for an experimental video.
Attached to this article are other music videos I have made of which I would love feedback to see how I can improve.
Hoping to post more soon!
By Alice Stansfield your friendly neighbourhood vlogger: http://www.youtube.com/user/HisLittleEmo
Feel free to Tweet me if you have any questions or feedback: @hislittleemoo
Email me for anything extra: firstname.lastname@example.org